Monday, November 15, 2010

The Rules of Kids and Body Safety

Last Friday I posted a link to momeomagazine from The Positive Self’s Facebook page. The article entitled Parenting 101: How To Teach Your Kids About Body Safety really made me think about how I expect my children to show affection to friends and relatives.  I observed myself breaking rule #4 "Let your children decide for themselves how they want to express affection."  I would say give “Aunt Barb” or “Uncle Bob a hug and kiss goodbye.” When I should just state that they need to say goodbye and let them decide how to express their affection.  The other rule I my ears perked up on was when an Aunt said “Hey Luke can I tell you a secret?”  I remembered rule #1, No secrets. Period. Since I was telling the Aunt earlier about this article, we continued our discussion that there should be no secrets in the family, that lines of communication should always be left open.

Raising children can make you hyperaware of what’s going on around them. What their hearing, seeing, doing. I’m glad I continue to find ideas and tips that can help me along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment