Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Top Ten Reasons Why I Don’t Like the Kids Back In School


A while back I posted on the top ten reasons I couldn’t wait for school to start.  Now here are my top ten reasons why I don’t like the kids back in school.

1.       Getting up early
2.       Getting the kids up early
3.       Making lunches
4.       Pleading for them to hurry
5.       Busses packed with too many kids
6.       Forgotten homework at school
7.       No peanuts or tree nuts
8.       Homework
9.       Early to Bed
10.   Getting up early

Getting myself up early is one thing, but getting the kids up can sometimes be a little frustrating.  Luke loves to sleep in, on weekdays only of course, and at times we have literally dragged him and his bedding out of his bedroom into the living room to wake him up.  He is the ultimate lounger. Lying on the floor with the dog, curling back up with his bedding and then eventually crawling his way on the floor to the bathroom to get ready. That’s all after I’ve begged him to tell me what he wants for breakfast.

At the beginning of school, I put the kids in charge of making most of their lunch.  They needed to put the dry stuff in their lunch boxes, I would make the sandwich and we would put the sandwich and the cold stuff in their lunch box in the morning.  Well, we’ve gotten out of the habit already so I have found myself once again adding this chore to my morning rush to get them out the door.  I need to re-implement that one.  The other frustrating thing about lunches is that my two elementary school kids can’t have any peanuts, tree nuts or any product produced in a plant that also produces peanuts or tree nuts.  So guess what they have eaten for lunch the last couple of years? You got it, PB&J! Now what am I going to do.  I bought them three different choices of deli meats and luckily they have pretty much eaten whatever sandwich I pack. Although I keep forgetting about items like sub buns or non-nutty snacks that may have been made in a plant that processes peanuts.  One morning  the kids had Nutella for breakfast and although they brushed their teeth before they left for school, I didn’t think they washed their hands. So I had to call school to ask their teachers to sterilize them before they contaminated anyone! I’ll post more on this one another time. There’s going to be a meeting at school soon to discuss this new rule, so I want to get all my facts first.

So on to the bus.  Because of budget constraints, they combined some bus routes.  So the kids were packed onto the bus sitting four on a seat.  Just packing them in! I didn’t think this was very safe and started driving them until they eventually split the route back up at which time they went back on the bus. 

I’m going to end now because I will just end up getting myself all worked up about not too much.  Luckily we have a fantastic school district with many wonderful teachers and I am thankful everyday for the work that they do!  There are so many children who are not given the opportunity to really soar in life so I am truly grateful for what is available to us, and what we can make of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment